This project is read-only.

how to use alert controls

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:44 PM
I am new to use this codes. How can I use these controls in a project? I have added all the .cs files (alert controls) to a sub-folder Alert in my web-site project. I have added alert.aspx page to the project as well. However, when I compile the project, I got compiling error complainning unknown server tag 'ms:Alert'. What should I do to get those controls working in my project?
Jan 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2008 at 5:46 PM
What I did is the add a folder Alert in my web site project, and made change in alert.aspx page:

<%@ Register
TagPrefix="ms"
src="/Alert/Alert.cs"
TagName="Alert"
Namespace="Microsoft.Samples.Alert"
%>

Still I got complain about "ms" prefix in <ms:Alert.... as unrecongized tag prefix or device. What else I am missing?
Jan 15, 2008 at 8:47 PM
OK. I think that I figured out how to create a web contorl. What I did is to creaet a library project and copied all the aleart cs files to the project. Add all the needed references to the project. Compile it to generate Alert.dll file.

Then in my WebSite project, I add a reference to Alert project. Then I have a bin folder created with Alert.dll file there. The Alert.aspx file contains the following reference tag:

<%@ Register Namespace="Microsoft.Samples.Alert"
TagPrefix="ms"
Assembly="Alert" %>

I can open the aspx file in designer with no problems. However, when I compile the web project, I got the following error:

Error 1 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl' does not contain a definition for 'Alert' E:\Dev\Alert1\Alert.aspx 43

What should I do to make it working?
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2008 at 12:54 AM
Why don't you use the dll that comes with the release?